I’m catching up on my sermon podcasts this afternoon and I must share this message by Dr. Herb Reavis that I just finished. It is the first sermon is a 3-part series on Psalm 51 called "Spiritual Awakening". You can listen to the full series online or subscribe to the NJBC podcast.
My notes on the sermon:
- Call Sin what Is
- "blot out my transgressions" vs1, deliberately crossing a line
- God’s law is like a fence on cliff’s edge, not there to make you life miserable it is to keep your life blessed.
- Appeal to God’s mercy and God’s Love
- "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity" vs2, twisted.
- "Wash me, Cleanse Me"
- "my sin is ever before me" vs3, missing the mark
- Accept Responsibility
- "Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight" vs4, the actions and consequences are my fault, and while I may have hurt others the sin is against God alone
- "so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment." vs4, I deserve to be judged, I can only plead for mercy
- "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity," vs 5, I am a sinner and I am in need of God’s grace continually
- Return to God’s Standard
- "Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being" vs6
- I have to have truth in me. I must practice truth, receive truth, and walk in truth. Without the truth of God’s Word I am vulnerable.
If you are not walking in truth you have nothing to restrain your sinful impulses.