I’m taking action on a personal development task that is way overdue in my life.
For 5 days from sundown tonight to sundown Friday night, I have committed myself to the following:
- No Twitter – I’m turning off iPhone push notifications and abstaining from using the service in any manner on behalf of myself.
- No Facebook – No checking in, No browsing, nothing
- No RSS – I will not read any of my RSS subscriptions for a week and at the end of the week I will mark all items as read. This seems a bit drastic but I am forcing myself to confront the notion of “feeling like I missed something”
- No TV – My favorite shows will save to DVR and I’ll decide at the end of the week which ones I want to take time to watch. I hope to pair this down to 2-3 shows a week max.
- Personal & Work Email Only – Nothing tied to any social networks or web services will be read for 1 week. Only the emails necessary for personal communication and taking care of clients will be opened.
This is a pretty drastic fast that I’ve postponed at least 4 times. I’m not backing out this time.
Why am I sharing this?
The Christian principle of fasting encourages us to fast in private but I’m sharing these goals publicly because it forces me to be accountable. It sets this plan on stone. I can’t back out or cheat on my fast without hundreds of friends knowing. Also I wanted people to know why I’ll be off the radar for a few days.
Why am I doing this?
I’m seeking balance, perspective, discipline, introspection, and quietness. I have issues with that whole “be still and know that I’m God” idea and that is my focus for this week.
Surrendering my will so I can clearly discover His will. His will for my family, my personal development, my career, and my service to Him.
In addition I’m longing to return to a regular habit of reading books. Primarily non-fiction books focused on Faith, business, & personal development. I miss reading and I need to make it a priority.
What do I hope my life looks like after this week?
I don’t want to make too many changes at once because that is a quick path to failure on all fronts. Rather I want to set aside 3-4 weeks to focus on creating better habits
- Physical Goals: A productive sleep schedule, healthy eating, & exercise. I’m determined to start playing Tennis again next Spring and that means dropping some weight and being in better overall health.
- Personal Goals: I want to dedicate more time to spiritual growth, introspection, and serving others. I have great vision and ideas and very poor follow through. I want to change that
- Professional Goals: I want to ensure that all my online activities are in line with some long-term goals. I’ve got a vision for where I want this to lead and I need to hone my efforts in that direction.
This week is set aside for writing down these goals, prioritizing, and creating an action plan. To accomplish this I need some quiet time to reflect and assess.
I doubt I’ll reach any epiphanies this week but this is something that I need to do for me. Wish me luck and I’ll see you online in 5 days. In the meantime if you need to get in contact with me just give me a call 501-859-6075.